Family Getting environment Home In Time For Christmas

shit
suck
asshole
jerk
pussy
bitch












Before volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, Margo Ballew said she knew actual little about construction.

"Before volunteering, I was consistently my husband's accommodating and able assistant. I could maybe acrylic something," she said.
But two years ago, all of that changed.

"I went to a Habitat luncheon," she said, recalling her first glimpse of the organization. "There were two women speaking. I was so impressed and so touched with their stories. I was definitely interested."
Ms. Ballew wasted little time after that first encounter.
"The next build was the Women Build and I went on the site to check it out. As soon as the walls went up I was hooked. This was for me," she said.

A DRAMATIC IMPACT
Ms. Ballew describes Habitat's Women Build program as "including women, not excluding men. It is giving women an opportunity to do something they had never been able to do."
Habitat's women-oriented projects in East Texas are sponsored by the Junior League of Tyler. But, it is a part of Habitat for Humanity International's Women Build program, which is nationally sponsored by Lowe's.
Across the country, more than 160 homes were built by 32,000 women volunteers in 2006 and by the end of 2008, Habitat officials are hoping that number doubles.
Ms. Ballew, who is now a volunteer construction supervisor with the Smith County chapter, believes these builds dramatically change lives.
She said she has been deeply affected by being involved in two Women Build projects.
"It really has changed my perspective on life," she said. "It has raised my self-confidence. I see that I accomplished that, and I bet I can accomplish more."
The Lindsey Wall family - which includes a single mother and her three children - is currently the subject of the 2008 Women Build.
Ms. Wall has been renting space in her parents' home and wants to create a less crowded and more stable environment for her children.
After purchasing the home, Ms. Wall hopes to return to college and earn her degree.
The build began on Oct. 4 and was completed on Saturday.
Ms. Wall is scheduled to close on the house Thursday.
Ms. Ballew, who is also on the family selections committee for Habitat, said the Walls were chosen because Lindsey had the most "sweat-equity hours."
"The more sweat-equity hours you have, the quicker in line you are to owning your own home," Ms. Ballew said. "(Lindsey) had a lot of hours, so she was chosen to be a recipient of the Women Build. When she was chosen, she had 97 sweat-equity hours. You have to be involved in working on your own home and other people's homes before you can start building your own house. Sweat-equity hours are the down payment on their home."
She said recipients must have between 350 and 500 hours after the build before they are able to close on their home.

'A WIN-WIN SITUATION'
Ms. Ballew has been working with Ms. Wall through the course of the build and seems to be even more confident now with Habitat's family choice.
"(Lindsey) is so excited. I was out there on a recent Saturday with her and she was, of course, out there, and she is planning the rooms. And her youngest son knows which room will be his. And they are just so excited to have their first Christmas in their own house," she said.
Ms. Ballew said Ms. Wall has almost become a different person since she was chosen by the committee earlier this year.
"Lindsey was a quiet, frightened woman when we first selected her. When we first told her she was a recipient, she cried. Everybody cries," she said. "Now she is confident, well spoken, she's funny. She will get in front of groups and address them. She has so much self-confidence now. It has really changed her. And that is what Habitat does for every family they help and for the people who are involved ... like me."
Ms. Ballew said she would encourage any woman who is thinking about getting involved to "go for it."
"Get out there and try it. I wouldn't be out there if it wasn't fun and if the homeowners weren't out there working with me. I can guarantee that anyone who goes out there will have a good time and really feel like they have changed lives," she said. "Habitat is a win-win situation for everybody - a win for the community, for the people and for the volunteers."

By LAUREN KEATON

Comments

0 Responses to "Family Getting environment Home In Time For Christmas"

Add to Technorati Favorites

Recent Posts

home equity line of credit

About